Tuesday, May 26, 2009

afternoon, Friday May 15 ....need more time

I am in the sun in La Boca, a fantastic neighbourhood of old, old brightly-coloured buildings, a port on the river Plate, once the immigrant area and home of Boca Juniors´ football stadium. I so wish I had known about this area earlier! There are tango restaurants and cobblestone laneways with tango dancers and musicians playing on platforms amongst the outdoor tables; market stalls with nice handmade jewelry, arts and clothes, prints of paintings; courtyard shops in the bright buildings. This is the neighbourhood I would want to live in. I could have stayed here a whole day - and spent a lot of money.


La Boca

I have taken the double-decker tourist bus around Buenos Aires. It is such a big city that this is a good idea even if it is a touristy thing to do. The recorded tour gives much too much information. One thing I remember is that Buenos Aires has a copy of Rodin´s Thinker and that it, along with Philadelphia, were the only two cities to order statues of their own.

Last night W´s mom showed me a prized avocado picked off a tree on their building´s grounds. The residents fight over the avocados on the tree so they are difficult to come by.

No comments:

Post a Comment