Monday, May 18, 2009

1.18pm, Wednesday May 13 ....tiny empanadas

Eating as a vegetarian in a country in which you don´t speak the language is a pain. I am at La Tucumarita on Rivadavia street, sitting in the loft after ordering two little empanadas. One is stuffed with cheese.

I hate speaking here. I feel so stupid, uncultured, annoying. In a restaurant one can´t take the time to try to put a sentence together.

This second empanada has corn and cheese inside. Mmmm...

As I walk through the city I think about coming back to live here (I walked down Ave. Corriente, which had bookshop after bookstall after bookstall, both upscale and discount. This is also the street where the theatres are). It is a grey and drizzly day and I can´t say that Buenos Arieans are particularly smiling people. Perhaps that is just the same in any big city. When I think of living here, I can´t imagine how one neogotiates such a big and unfamiliar city, its neighbourhoods and transport, even if one could speak the language and find work. I don´t even know how I´d begin to think about living in a city like this. This makes me feel limited. People move to strange cities all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    It's good to hear that you are having a good time. Or at least eating good food! I don't think you have done badly when it comes to moving to unfamiliar cities. I bet the majority of people in the world stay in the same city they were born.

    ReplyDelete