Tuesday, May 26, 2009

8ishpm, Friday May 15 ....party, party, party

I am in bed at W´s, resting before a long night out at a ´party´we are on the guest list for. W is one of those people who knows people. She makes zombie films and is a photographer. Parties here apparently don´t get started until 2.00am and I will have to leave around 4.00am to make sure I catch a bus, coach or taxi to the airport to be good and early for my 8.45am flight (hopefully I catch the bus, which takes 2 hours).

I´ve been dutifully jotting down notes for when I have the time to write properly, but I would love a nap before heading out tonight. It felt like I was awake for much of last night, partly because I was cold. I keep waking up early and today was no exception, despite wearing earplugs so I wouldn´t hear the sounds of W´s father coming home in the early morning from his night shift.

I am leaving this city without having done much - I didn´t get to the fine art museum or the national library and didn´t see San Telmo or La Boca properly in only half-hour look-ins. I did sample the pizza and ice cream. The pizza here has a very thick spongy base with no real crust. It is like a foccacia. I had pizza with E before we walked around the botanic gardens. The pizza had mozzarella, fresh tomato and a few olives. E said this pizza place near Italia Plaza was one of the best in the city. I liked it better than Australian pizza but I prefer NY pizza to both. There is a long Italian history here, hence the pizza. Also a Jewish history, beginning in the late 1860s. I did not notice any bagels or Jewish food, but did spot some Hasids and yarmulkes.

The chocolate rocher ice-cream (helado) was as good as W promised Argentinian ice-cream would be - as good as my favourite Baci gelato in Melbourne.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rach!

    I'm loving reading about your experiences especially the reactions to food that is.. okay or not too good. Wow! Avocados are prized? I thought you'd be able to get them easily considering they're a SA native.

    Savour the moments even if they're brief... there's so much to enjoy!

    :)
    m

    ReplyDelete