Friday, September 11, 2009

6.15pm, Monday May 15, MS's ....Frankenfurter grasshopper

The dogs sniff me because I was playing with a stray black puppy while waiting for the bus across the street from the beach. It had floppy ears and kept biting my hand.

Today was a great day. MS and I were supposed to get up at 6am to go to La Restinga National Park, but we didn't get up to the alarm. We emerged at 9am, had a breakfast of bread, humus (without tahini), tomato, crackers and dulce de leche and went to the other national park instead. It's closer.

We climbed El Copey, Margarita's tallest hill, in an hour and a half. MS showed me the huge 'walking tree', which shoots down roots that grow up again as trunks of new trees so that a whole series of trees are attached to each other.

On the walk I saw an enormous grasshopper the size of a sparrow, green and spindly with a red back. We walked up a road with forest on either side - narrow-trunked trees with small leaves, sometimes a bank of ferns or large, long-leafed climbers. There were beautiful views of the island, with the high-rises of Porlamar looking clean and light from so far away, the red-roofed houses in the valley embedded amongst trees, the large white square of Sambil mall and the ocean and its lagoons. After walking back down the hill we walked to a couple of restaraunts located down hilltop dirt roads, but they were closed on Mondays and I was feeling very muscle-tired and ready to sit down.

We ended up in La Asunscion and stopped for papaya juice at that cute little shopping arcade I had noticed on my wander around the town. Refreshed, we head for Playa Guacuco. This is a nice beach of sand-coloured sand, light waves and a few neat beachside restaurants with many, many palms and a view of 'the mountains'. Water was so welcome after the hot climb. MS and I played together in the waves and I had a laughing fit.

In the evening we went to Pampatar to see 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' at the national cinema. We were running late and made it into the theatre as the wedding was finishing, 'Dammit, Janet, I love you!' There were several other people in the theatre ('It IS Rocky Horror' I said in response to MS's surprise upon seeing cars parket outside the cinema) but it was a quiet crowd and there was no dancing to the Time Warp. MS liked the movie despite the fact that it is a musical, and now I can say I've seen Rocky Horror in Venezuela courtesty of Hugo Chavez. (I had actually decided to stay longer in Margarita just so that I could take MS, a Rocky Horror 'virgin' to see the film).

No comments:

Post a Comment