Friday, July 31, 2009

2.00pm, Tuesday May 26, Biblioteca Municipal de Caracas ....so sad

I am sitting at a wood laminate table in a room with a rust-coloured floor in Caracas city library. It is a depressing library: very few books, all of which seem to be in the fields of math and sciences. There are 11 sets of five-shelved small bookcases on each floor with none of the shelves full. A few people are studying quietly on the different floors but the only cheer is the sun pouring through the library's windows from a courtyard. This courtyard cannot be seen from the windows, only a shingled roof. The entrance hall to the library is a vast square space with a couple of its walls exhibiting photos and information about a farming collective. There are a few small murals of national heroes, but otherwise the hall is empty, with empty balconies holding empty glass-doored wooden bookcases. So sad.

It is another hot day. I am on my own. I took the bus to Capitolio and the subway to Belles Artes in order to use the free internet at the gallery (S's home connection is sporadic). All the computers were in use. Before leaving Paradaiso I walked to the internet place near S but that appeared to have closed down in the last several days - there was black plastic partially covering its sign. I waited for a bit at the museum but no one appeared to be leaving and there was a woman ahead of me, so I decided I was wasting my time. I hadn't been online in ages and was beginning to feel upset because there were some particular emails I wanted to answer. I started to head towards the Museo de Arte Colonial, outside of the city centre and shortly found an internet cafe were I spent a happy hour and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment