Thursday, February 8, 2007

Cafe #3: The Rathdowne Street Food Store

Date: Wednesday, 07 February 2007, 1.00pm
Location: #617 Rathdowne Street, Carlton North
Coffee: $3.00 - latte, okay
Reading: Interpretation as Pragmatics

I am sitting outside at a white-clothed round table, under an umbrella. The shopfront is dark grey-blue, with a red-hued interior dining room hinted at through a back doorway. I've eaten a piece of lemon curd pie because I didn't feel comfortable just ordering coffee. This is not a cheap cafe, but the other cafes just before were fronted by filled-up outdoor tables.

The bowl of cream that came with my cake was lovely and huge. The cake was lovely too. I can eat very slowly when I want to justify prolonged cafe lounging by having food on the table in front of me!

Last night I visited a great sharehouse. Two-storey, with paintings and postcards splashing the walls, wafts of incense, an enormous bathroom and inhabited by three girls, one wearing a dusty-rose scarf of large smooth sequins. I'd love to live there but I have much competition. I tried to win over the woman with the scarf with my feminist credentials but I'm not sure if it worked. Would be excellent to live so near Erin as well.

After the hot days of earlier in the week, it is cloudy and around 19 degrees celsius, a bit breezy. I wonder if it will rain.

This is not a cafe in which to feel comfortable overstaying my welcome. Shall be off to Alice's Book Shop a few doors down.

1 comment:

  1. hi rachel,
    great idea to relate your melbourne experiences, it'll be good to see what you are up to. your options sound interesting, hope you get something soon...

    ReplyDelete