Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Cafe #1: 80 Spaces

Date: Monday, 05 February 07, 2.00pm
Location: James and Chapel Streets, Windsor
Coffee: $3.90 - cappucino, average
Reading: The Handmaid's Tale

I can tell - to choose outside or in will be a source of irrelevant stress. At least in the summer.

80 Spaces is long and narrow, brown and woody, muted despite unshaded light globes. Modern, funky jazz in the background, spotty swirly dark industrial flooring.

I've just looked at my third sharehouse. This was by far the nicest - and most expensive. Lovely light blue slighly white/green walls, living with an older man into Eastern/Western spirituality, Neoplatonic philosophy, avant gard and Asian dance, and wellness. He has recently returned from India where he was writing a book about the history of Tarot, and he raised three daughters as a single parent. He has just moved to the Windsor house with his casual girlfriend of seven or so years. He is French, grew up in Chicago. The house is near the train and tram, on the Monash side of town, and near the famous Chapel Street. This last, indeed, does not appeal.

It is a sunny, clear-skied, hot and beautiful day.

Upon leaving the cafe I spy Syber's Books on 38 Chapel Street: 3 cats, expensive, have The Chess Garden! For $14! Didn't buy!

There was a good bargain bin outside and I bought The Harmony Silk Factor and The Grapes of Wrath and The Master Butcher's Singing Club for a dollar each. Not that I need more books, oh no. I think I have an addiction problem...

1 comment:

  1. please add suburbs in the location section so I know exactly where the cafe is.

    ReplyDelete