Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 26, Iquitos

Tomorrow I go to the jungle, on a four-day Amazon trek, just me and a 29-year-old guide.

Yes, I am already worried. The guy who sold me the trip asked to be let off another trek he was supposed to do so he could go with me instead. When I came back into the agency to let him know which hostel I was staying at he was leaving and asked me if I had had lunch. I didn´t have lunch with him, but I did meet him later. He said he didn´t need to be at work anymore and had nothing to do and offered to show me around Iquitos on the back of his vespa. He took me to a floating bar on the Amazon and we shared a beer (a big bottle). I almost went dancing with him tonight at a live gig, but decided it was better to get a good night´s sleep.

Why do I put myself in these situations you ask? Well, the group tours are all about relaxing in lodges, pirranah fishing, and visiting villages to stare at the natives. Not what I want. (And they are way more expensive - this trip costs me $AU178!). I want to walk in the forest for hours at a time, going deeper in. And to be in a boat along the rivers of the Amazon forest.

So wish me luck. I see this as (potentially) a final opportunity to get some spine and say ´no´. I hope I´m only projecting, obviously, but if it does come to this, let me practice, ´No´. ´No, thanks.´

At least I will have made some self-improvement.

Wish me luck!

Write at you again in several days.





No comments:

Post a Comment