Thursday, February 4, 2010

7.35pm, Friday August 14, Terminal 7 ....at last

I am on the road again! It is very welcome. I had a day of sleeping in, laundry and wrestling with Auunt K's computer and scanner. But the sun came out in the afternoon; I had my last piece of NY pizza.


Yesterday, before heading to Bronxville on Metro North, I bought an arepa con queso from a Columbian cafe in Woodside and chatted a little bit of Spanish to the waitress. The arepa was delicious and very filling. I wasn't hungry again until late in the afternoon, which found me in Bronxville with L, J and baby L, all also starving. We found a deli, where I had a great, sweet bread pudding and a knish with mustard. Not a real knish unfortunately, but the square kind sold on the street. I never did get to Yonah Schimmel's knishes this visit. I have just finished a pumpernickel bagel, however.


Just before, the news had a feature on the Australian healthcare system, highlighting how Australia’s tax-funded healthcare costs less of the Australian GDP than America’s private systems costs the American GDP. Australians live longer and are happier with their care than Americans. About time we start hearing that kind of rhetoric. Though the story did add that 42% of Australians also have private insurance, attributing it to avoiding long waits and choosing a surgeon of one’s own rather than Howard's tax levy.

No comments:

Post a Comment