Saturday, January 23, 2010

1.00am, Thursday August 13, Aunt K’s ....blissful

It is blissful to be back with a good, beautiful friend in a big city with lovely warm evenings. Being with S gives me energy.

Thanks to my parents I had enough money to enjoy a pricey dinner and $30 bottle of wine in SoHo with S - also due to my stinginess in South America and the excellent exchange rate between the American and Aussie dollar.

S and I put our names into the lottery for Hair on Broadway but we didn’t win $25 tickets. We trundled over to the TKTS stand but the tickets were $90 a person. We stood on a corner with a village Voice searching for movies to see but didn’t find any we particularly wanted see, so we walked around SoHo, found a Korean restaurant and cocktail bar, and got in five minutes before the close of Happy Hour for our $5/6 cocktails.

I had a white peach flavoured coktail and S a lime and jalepeno one. Both delicious. The bartender was young and chatty and he told us a bit about New York history, the Chinatown wars between the Chinese and … that the police let go due to lack of language skills. Also the prevention of a major highway through the Village due to community activism.

S and I talked about Anmerica, politics, boys, sex, personal frustration and change, friendship, all kinds of interesting and engaging things. It is also nice to walk again. My heavy backpack turns out not to be so burdensome after all and I jetted through Times Square, dodging through crowds, not because I was in a hurry but so that I didn’t have to break the rhythm of moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment