Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cafe #25: Upper Crust Bread Shop

Date: Monday, 06 August 2007
Location: 206 Smith Street
Coffee: latte - $2.50, okay

It has been a while since I last wrote. I have been working, studying and being cold. I only have five hours of work this week, which feels like freedom, except isn't. I will have to find another job as freedom requires paying one's rent.

The past couple of weeks have been mixed. I went to see Ian McKellan in The Seagull wth A, S and F. It was lovely to be at the theatre and see Sir Ian, but the play was only okay and his part wasn't large. I didn't get a ticket to King Lear, which I will forever regret.

My thesis began to come together this past week as well. I will look at complementarity as a definition of postmodernism and play Badiou (ethics), Barthes (literature) and Derrida (Law and Literature) off each other, all through Copenhagen, showing different types of complementarities between and wthin the texts. I may organise the thesis around metaphorical/theoretical common concepts such as void, transgression, supplement, etc, and add some Bataille and Sartre in the mix as well. I feel much more settled having a plan and like I have more time to do paid work since I've done most of the reading already. Of course I will read these books again and again but the initial familiarity is there.

This week has been difficult because I found out my rent is going up in October. I have to move. If things work out A will move with me, but 'if' is the key problematic. I need to find a new job (this was the first week I was offered only one shift). And I've found out A has a new girlfriend and peace of mind, which despite my pleasure for him is hard for me. After a few phone conversations with S and my dad and my mom last night I'm feeling much better an am able to focus on study today.

Just earlier I had a meeting with a lovely young woman interested in doing some publicity work for lip as part of her university course, so hopefully that'll get lip some money for the next issue.

I am sitting outside today, which is lovely. Hopefully the worst of the winter is behind us and the days will remain edged with warmth.

My tabletop is painted with a red-headed girl in a blue bikini with white flowers, laying on a red, white and blue striped towel on the beach with water, mountains and a sailing ship behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment